Learning about food, photography, and writing. Sharing what I find.

˜˜˜

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Salad Inspiration

I am over-the-top picky about blueberries. You would be too if your first ever experience with them was a wild bush growing in the woods of your backyard, the fruit of which was always the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and never bigger than half a centimeter across. New Englanders are blueberry-spoiled.

BUT, I'm able to live in the world of normal blueberries now, having perfected the art of the 'squeeze-and-select' method. My husband is very kind to allow me to eat all the super-firm ones, while he takes my rejects. Waitrose has had some really nice smallish organic ones in stock lately, so we've had a lot of salads with blueberries on them lately. I want to share my favorite combination with you.

Blueberry and Shaved Parmigiano Salad


Serves 2, prep time 5 minutes

You'll Need:

Red & green leaf lettuce, torn up
1/3 cup fresh blueberries
Aged Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved on the thinnest setting of your mandolin
A few shavings of red onion (if you fancy it)
Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
Freshly ground pepper
A fruity extra virgin olive oil
1/2 a lemon

In the bowl it goes:

Lettuce
Blueberries
Parmigiano
Red onion
Salt
Pepper

Drizzle the oil slowly and evenly over the greens.
Squeeze the lemon evenly over the greens.
Eat it.

4 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful salad!
    Do you remember that some of the bushes were blueberry, and some huckleberry?
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't remember! Here's a dumb question: are huckleberries edible??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might interest you to know that what we call the huckleberry is the European blueberry... and they are just as edible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Chaz. I can always count on you for food and shrubbery info!

    ReplyDelete