Learning about food, photography, and writing. Sharing what I find.

˜˜˜

Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy 11.11.11!!

I'm baaaaaaaaack!

It WOULD take a nerdy event like 11.11.11 to bring me back to blogging. But really, if you know me, you know that self-motivation is a tricky business in my brain. I need to have a 'reason' – no matter how unrelated, random or feeble – to initiate action. So, because I didn't want 11.11.11 to go by uncelebrated, I'm choosing this date to start a new blogging resolution and to inaugurate my new kitchen (Yes, we've moved! To London!) into the blogosphere. The plan is to post once a week, sharing one of that week's adventures in my kitchen-the-size-of-a-middle-school-locker. But seriously, I do love my cramped haven:

I mean, look at that chopping block.

For today, a special date numerically and historically, enjoy the beauty that is a morning sugar high.


Yay! More elevens!

I couldn't fit these 11 silver-dollar pancakes in the shape of an 11 onto a normal plate, so I used my massive tray. :)

The recipe is just the simple version from the Joy of Cooking 1970-whatever edition.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
(I also do a smidge of baking soda . . . not really sure why)
3 Tbs sugar
1 or 2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbs butter, melted
1 cup milk (or more if it's too thick)

Whisk the dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and stir gently until just combined. They go on a lightly greased frying pan (I used butter today, but often use a light oil instead) over medium-low heat.

I drizzled these with acacia honey, a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar, then a dollop of Nutella, just for good measure.



In all honesty, I felt like a bit of a fool actually EATING off that massive tray, so I turned the horizontal eleven into a vertical eleven and had at it. 




The coffee was a very important part of this morning's feast. I'm off to do some freelancing on my couch in my PJs!



PS: THANK YOU and God Bless to all the veterans today, living and gone. Especially to my recently-passed Pop-Pop (aka Major John C. Menzies) and to my dear friend, CPT Andrew Michaelson, who just became a daddy 2 days ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment